Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Really, really good film making...Avatar

Can I just say I was blown away. I remember how I felt the very first time I saw Star Wars when it first came out, it was such a fun futuristic swash-buckler that took us places we had never imagined. I remember the first time I saw Dances With Wolves and the incredible cinematography on the biggest screen in Nebraska at the amazing pre-IMAX Indian Hills Theater (unfortunately now gone.) Avatar ranks right up their with those movie experiences for me.

Avatar seen on IMAX in 3D simply was jaw-droppingly amazing. I loved it. I don't know how James Cameron conceived of Pandora, but I wish there were such a place. So incredibly beautiful. The detail that was in that film was mind-blowing.

The story was a sweet touchstone to Mother Nature and romance and a great justified battle to protect home and hearth and a culture worth saving. I laugh at those who read a political message into it. But that said, it is a great story of the little guy up against corporate greed. It is not a new story, but a new telling of it. So if you find yourself defending corporate greed and not enjoying the movie for what it is, you miss the point of seeing it at all. It was a fun film and I was totally entertained.

No comments: