Monday, March 22, 2010

Leaning into Pescetarianism

Okay, I gotta get more healthy.

Two years ago I was healthier than I am now. I had lost weight and was doing well. The trouble is, I was not able to stay on my low carb diet for life. I just don't want to have to work that hard at counting carbs and tracking every morsel of food that I put in my mouth. I just want to eat something tasty and not have to worry about it.

This is hampered by the fact that being a diabetic, my intolerance for high glycemic foods screws up my blood sugar and reeks havoc with my overall health.

I watched a program the other night on PBS on reversing diabetes. The speaker talked about vegetarian diets and how getting most of my proteins from vegetable sources could actually turn my diabetes around entirely. I think this is worth strong consideration. The problem is, I love meat.

I love a good roasted meat: beef, pork or chicken. I have over the last few years moved to more turkey and fish in my diet, but perhaps I should move even further to fish only. I don't think I can give up meat entirely. But if I seriously stick to fish and seafood for the majority of my meals, I think I could actually wean myself of meat.

The thing is, I am not doing this because I am on some sort of fad. My life is beginning to depend on it. My diabetes is simply not getting better, it is unfortunately getting worse. I have to face facts. Plant protein is healthier for me and creates less health problems. 

I have to get away from processed foods, meats and even my love of cheese that I indulge way too much of. These foods are trying to kill me.


So I am leaning into pescetarianism. I love fish. It is a way for me to restart the journey back to good health. Giving up meat will be a lot easier if fish is still on the menu.

Wish me luck.

No comments: