Saturday, April 3, 2010

Mmmmmmmm!

Lunch today was simple and delish! Roasted corn and black bean salad.


This was really yummy.
1 can of drained and rinsed black beans
1 cup of oven roasted corn
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
1/4 cup each of diced celery and red onion
2 roasted red bell peppers diced
a dash of salt
1/4 tsp smokey paprika
I had ordered some books when I started this and they arrived the other day. I have been pouring over them without being able to put them down. The first one is "Dr. Neal Barnard's Program for Reversing Diabetes". I also got Dr. Barnard's "Breaking the Food Seduction". It is pretty clear that my food cravings were never for chocolate, sweets or meat so much. But cheese, now that is the thing that I could not seem to have a meal or a snack without. It never occurred to me that every morsel of cheese I was eating was so full of fat. This is the culprit, my daily drug if you will. Everyday it lured me back for more and more. Now that I have identified my main enemy, I can put it aside and I have. My blood sugars are coming down already and it has only been a couple weeks. I don't ever feel hungry because I can eat whenever I want. I don't have to stress over calories or carb counting (a huge relief) and I can have pasta without feeling like I robbed the carb store.

A third book that I bought is Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Diet". Her approach is so subtle and understanding of those of us who have so recently changed to this lifestyle. Her recipes are amazing and varied. I am beginning to think that I can actually pull this off. I am not pacing around wondering if I will backslide into eating a steak. Her website "The Kind Life" has been a great support and I love the forum which is quite active.

I think it is so ironic that a few short years ago, I had gone the exact opposite direction with "The South Beach Diet" to help me with my diabetes. Long term though, I found it impossible to stay on that diet. I craved bread and cereals constantly. After initial positive results, I could not maintain the diet. My diabetes and high cholesterol conditions were worse than before and my weight loss was null and void as if I had not done it at all. In actuality, I had done more harm than good. Well I am rectifying that now. I believe I am finally on the right path to reversing my diabetes and living healthy.

No comments: