Sunday, May 9, 2010

Losing Weight, it's a good thing.

Well since switching to a low-fat vegan (no meat, no dairy, no eggs) diet, I have now lost 16 pounds. BUT... I am never hungry, in fact is seems I eat all the time LOL. I am finding that you have to eat a truckload of the green stuff to actually overeat. I don't watch calories, I don't count carbs. And eating bread (whole grain only) is tremendous when you don't have feel guilty. I have brown rice, polenta, oatmeal, barley, quinoa, really all sorts of whole grains that are good for you, fill you up and are naturally low-glycemic. I am not really exercising any more than I did before (walking about 3 miles, 1-3 times a week).

You would think that this would be a boring diet. Think again! The choices for vegans are huge. I rarely eat the same things and am actually making an effort to try a different veggie and fruit each day. The variety is amazing. If I don't know how to use a new veggie or fruit, I look it up on the net to get new ideas. I also have tried some meat replacements like Morningstar Farms Veggie Burgers and veggie based seitan which tastes like chicken chunks in stir-fries. Tonight is going to be fresh Shitake mushroom stir-fry with baby bok choy and a sesame ginger sauce served with jasmine brown rice. I feel like every day is gourmet food.

Restaurants have been a pleasant surprise. I didn't know if they would have anything besides salads to order. I was very wrong. I recently went downtown to Dixie Quicks and to a North Omaha gem...Finicky Franks, 9520 Calhoun Road, 402-451-5555.

Chef René at Dixie Quicks made an amazing Vegan Chorizo & Tofu Scramble, served with a side of some deliciously seasoned black beans and a side of assorted fresh cut fruit, which had me wanting more even after I was stuffed! It tasted soooooo good!

Finicky Franks made me a gourmet veggie burger topped with grilled onions & peppers that was so delicious. I also had their mushrooms and a salad with lemon poppyseed dressing. Yummy!


Eating like this and still losing weight...all I can say is WOW!

No comments: