Sunday, May 16, 2010

Spinach, Soy Nut, Almond, Pumpkin Seed, Cranberry & Orange Pesto

The other day I was at Costco and picked up a jar of Ann's House Soy Energy Blend to snack on. It is a trail mix blend of toasted soy nuts, almonds, pumpkin seed kernals and sweet dried cranberries. Nice mix.

Then yesterday I was at the Farmer's Market in downtown Omaha and bought a big bunch of fresh spinach and other greens. I have a ton of greens to make salads with, so I decided to make a pesto out of the spinach. But I didn't have any pine nuts. I was about to run to the grocery when it dawned on me to try the toasted soy nut mix in the pesto.




In the food processor:
    Spinach leaves (cleaned and spun dry)
    1 1/2 cups soy nut mix
Mix until leaves are mostly processed

add:
    olive oil (I drizzled in enough to make a paste)
    fresh squeezed orange juice (I used the juice of 2 clementines)
    sea salt (to bring out the sweetness of the cranberries and orange juice)
    cracked black pepper

WOW was that yummy. Serve it on whole wheat pasta or crusty toasted bread or pita chips.

No comments: